Curly hair can be the perfect hairstyle for a cute outfit. But using a curling iron on your hair frequently can be damaging.
That’s why many are turning back to using heatless hair rollers to style their hair.
Hair rollers have been around for a long time. But they’ve been gathering dust in our drawers due to the convenience of curling irons.
If you ask your mom or grandma how they curl their hair back in the day, they’ll probably describe some type of hair rollers.
But these days, hair rollers are available in various versions, and foam hair rollers are one of them.
So if you think foam hair rollers are perfect for your hair, follow along to know how easy it is to put them on.
What are foam hair rollers?
So, what are foam hair rollers, and what makes them different from other types of rollers?
Foam or sponge hair rollers are cylindrical sponges that wrap your hair around to create curls or waves.
They’re more comfortable compared to velcro rollers because they don’t have a hard plastic body that can be painful to lie on. Plus, foam hair rollers don’t attach directly to your hair, so you don’t have to worry about hair damage.
Foam hair rollers also have a built-in plastic lock, so you won’t need a ton of bobby pins to secure your hair.
They’re also available in different sizes, so you can decide what type of curl you want to achieve.
Are foam rollers good for your hair?
Exposing your hair to heat from curling irons can damage it by changing the shape of your keratin strands, resulting in brittle and dry hair that’s irreparable.
So if you want to take better care of your hair, toning down the use of heating tools is the best way to go.
But just because you’re taking a break from your curling iron doesn’t mean you can’t wear curly hairstyles anymore.
That’s where foam hair rollers come in to save the day.
Foam hair rollers don’t need heat to set your hair into curls, so they don’t alter your hair’s chemistry. Making your hair healthier in the long run.
Their sponge rollers are also smooth, so they rarely snag and tangle your hair. They also don’t have tiny hooks that velcro rollers use to stick onto your hair, making them gentler.
The only downside is foam hair rollers can absorb the moisture from your hair, so it’s not good for dry hair.
But the good news is, there are satin hair rollers available that work just as well as the classic foam rollers.
Do you put foam rollers in wet or dry hair?
Foam hair rollers work best on damp hair since it’s easier to shape.
Wet hair is harder to style, and it will take your hair longer to dry if you put the rollers on while it’s dripping wet.
But if your hair is completely dry and you want to put your foam rollers on, you can spray your hair with water to dampen it.
How long do you leave foam rollers in your hair?
The longer you leave your rollers on, the longer your curls will hold. That’s why it’s best to leave your foam rollers on for at least 8 hours.
That’s why most people wear their hair rollers overnight so they can sleep while their hair sets.
Besides, sleeping with your foam rollers on your hair is where they have the most advantage.
Since they’re made out of soft foam, the rollers won’t hurt your head when you’re tossing and turning at night.
How do I use foam hair rollers?
Nowadays, hair rollers are no longer exclusive to models getting ready backstage or grandmas getting ready for bed. They’re effective tools to create lazy girl curls, and here are some tips on how to put them on:
How to use foam hair rollers overnight
- Start by applying a styling cream or leave-in conditioner all over your damp hair. This avoids drying out your strands since foam rollers tend to absorb your hair’s moisture.
- Comb out your strands to remove knots and tangles, so it’s easier to section your hair out later.
- Take a 1-inch section of your hair, start rolling it on a foam roller from the ends to the roots, and then lock it in place.
- Repeat step 3 to the rest of your hair.
- Leave the rollers on for 8 hours or overnight to create curls that last the entire day.
- To remove, unlock the rollers one at a time and roll them down your hair. Finally, spritz your hair with hairspray to give them a stronger hold.
If you want looser curls, you can run your hands down your hair to tousle them before applying hairspray.
Also, if you want bigger curls or create an old Hollywood look, you can switch your regular rollers with jumbo foam hair rollers.
How to use foam hair rollers for spiral curls
If you want to mix up your look and create some bouncy spiral curls, follow these steps below:
- Start by sectioning your damp hair into 3 parts: top, middle, and bottom.
- At the top part, roll 1-inch sections of your hair horizontally, so they lay flat on top of your head. Make sure each roller is secure to avoid your hair from rolling out.
- Once the top part’s done, move on to the middle part. Roll 1-inch sections of your hair vertically from roots to ends. Turning your foam rollers sideways creates the tight spiral shape of your curls.
- Then do the bottom part, repeating the same steps you did on the middle part.
- Once every hair is in place, leave the rollers on overnight to set.
- In the morning, roll out the foam roller one at a time so you won’t ruin the curl shape. Slowly pull the 1-inch sections of hair into 3-4 parts to spread out your hair and create volume.
- Once you’re happy with the shape, scrunch in some hairspray to help your curls hold longer, and you’re done!
Remember to avoid touching your hair throughout the day, so you don’t create frizz.
How to use foam hair rollers on short hair
If you want to test out foam hair rollers, but you currently have short hair, you don’t have to wait to grow it out.
As long as your hair is long enough for the rollers to hold onto, you’re good.
Just follow the steps above on how to use the foam rollers overnight.
Opt for regular or smaller-sized foam rollers so you won’t have trouble rolling your short hair.
But if you have shoulder-length hair, you can use the jumbo foam hair rollers to create waves instead of curls.
CHECK OUT: What are the best hot rollers for fine hair?
Using foam hair rollers may require a longer time to set compared to using curling irons, but they’re better for your hair’s health in the long run.
Aside from being affordable, they’re also reliable for creating curls that last all day.
Once you get the hang of using your foam hair rollers, you can then experiment with different sizes and styles so you can have great hair each day.
1 thought on “How To Use Foam Hair Rollers”
Where does one find the black foam rollers pictured with the pink velcro “clips” or closures? I can’t find them and they look like they’d work well, and not cause the line/crimp that the plastic clips can cause.