If you are one that likes having hair off your face or maybe you just need something simple every morning, rocking a ponytail can be really fun and stylish. You can move from the most basic style to a more fun and classy look. You can also choose to infuse more accessories or just add a classic hair pin extension.
With just a little tweak, your ponytail can move from simple to sophisticated. These styles are really easy and can fit into any occasion ranging from a prom night, date night to a formal dinner. They are also perfect for a normal day at work or school.
I’ve compiled 10 different ways to put your hair up in a ponytail. Have fun!
Simple ponytail hairstyles for everyday
1. A classic double twisted ponytail
This style is really easy and can give you that chic look you are aiming for.
- Divide your hair into 2 separate sections.
- Starting with the left side, twist the hair halfway and then tie with a hair band.
- Repeat the same process with the right side twisting the hair towards the middle. Secure both twists with an elastic band.
- Be sure to twist both sections firmly towards each other before securing with an elastic band.
2. Hair wrap around ponytail
This style works best for those who have long hair. Otherwise, you may require hair extensions to give your hair some length and volume. If you don’t want your elastic tie showing up, or you just want a little change, you can wrap your hair around the hair tie. This is usually done with a bobby pin (or two!).
- Comb all your hair into a low pony (but not too low!)
- Grab a small section of your hair. Wrap it around the ponytail and secure firmly using bobby pins.
- Use as much bobby pins as you need to keep your hair in place and you are done.
What if you don’t want to use bobby pins?
It can be a bother when bobby pins stick out. And sometimes, you just don’t have any pins on had! This video tutorial will show you how its done without using bobby pins.
Personally, I think this method is much more secure than the one using bobby pins.
3. Fishtail ponytail
Fishtails are quite common but this hairstyle requires you adding a fishtail look to your ponytail.
- Comb your hair backwards and put it in a ponytail around the middle of the back of your head.
- Starting from the left side, cross a small section of hair to the right side.
- Take a small section of hair from the right side and cross to the left side.
- Repeat this action of crossing hair from the left to the right and vice versa till you get to the end.
- Tie the ends using an elastic band.
- The crossing steps above is just a simple way to braid your hair to achieve that fishtail look.
If your ponytail is not really long or maybe you just want more length and volume, you can add a couple of clip-in hair extensions.
4. Ponytail with bubbles
The simplest ponytail needs just a little touch to become more chic and cute. This style is perfect for those date nights when you don’t have time for something complicated. For this hairstyle, you would require about 7 to 8 elastic bands, depending on the length of your hair. You can also add hair extensions to add more length to your bubbles.
- Comb hair into a ponytail using a small elastic band.
- Tie another elastic band about 2 inches away from the first one.
- Using the fingers of both hands, pull the hair between both elastics out slightly to form a bubble.
- Repeat this process till you get to the end of the hair.
If you want to hide the elastic bands, you can wrap hair around it. Or use clear elastic bands so they won’t be visible.
5. Ponytail with curls
If you have long straight hair or just long hair with extensions, adding curls throughout the length of your ponytail can be quite stylish and chic. This formal hairstyle is perfect for a party or a night out.
In this video tutorial, expert hair and makeup artist Danielle Valiente shows you how this is done:
- Comb hair into a low pony.
- Secure with an elastic band. You can also wrap a few section of hair around the elastic to achieve a more natural look.
- Curl remaining hair using a curling iron.
- This style is quite easy to achieve. You can also part your hair in front and even add a slight bang. You can also choose to infuse some hair accessories just to give the hair some classic look.
Since this look requires the use of a curling iron, be sure to use some heat protectant spray beforehand.
6. Pull through ponytail
This hairstyle is a favourite! It looks complicated but it is actually quite simple and easy to do.
How to get this look:
- Start by separating a little section of the hair on the top and securing it in an elastic band.
- Pull another small section under it and tie it up with another elastic band.
- Divide the first section into two then pull the second section through it in the middle. Allow the end of the second section to fall to the front with the two sections of the first at the back.
- Grab another section below the first two and secure with the two sections of the first section using an elastic band.
- Pull the second ponytail in the front through the middle of the new ponytail. Repeat till you get to the middle of the back of your head.
- Pull the remaining part of the hair at the back into a really high ponytail. Go back and puff and pull the pull-out part to add more volume and definition to this hairstyle.
7. Stylish ponytail with extensions
Ponytails can be anything but boring. Extensions are quite a great asset when creating different ponytail hairstyles.
How to get this look:
- Separate your hair into 2 unequal parts from top to bottom. The top part is just a mini size while the lower part is for your ponytail.
- For the lower part, pack into a loose pony and pull out on all sides to create a messy look.
- The top part should be parted and styled to frame around your head.
- You can also wrap few part of hair around the ponytail and then secure with bobby pins at the back to achieve a better look and that is all.
8. Ponytail with braids
In just few steps, you can add a new look to this basic hairstyle.
How to achieve this look:
- Separate your hair into two parts from top to bottom.
- Divide the top part into two. Starting from any side, braid one part completely till the end and do the same to the other part.
- Pack the two braids and the loose lower part into a ponytail and secure with an elastic band.
- Another classy way to achieve this braided ponytail hairstyle is by braiding just one side. You can start by side braiding either the left or right side till you get to the back of the head.
- Once secured in a ponytail, wrap a few hair around the hair band using bobby pins to create a more sleek look.
9. Classic French braided ponytail
This style is a little different from the one above as we are using a French braid instead of the regular braid.
Get this look:
- Comb all your hair into a ponytail positioned in the middle of your hair.
- Wrap a few part of the hair around the ponytail and secure using bobby pins.
- Pick up a small bunch of hair from the side and start braiding.
- Continue all the way down till you get to the end and you are done.
- Another way to achieve this style is by starting your French braid from the front of the hair till you get to the ponytail.
10. Double Dutch ponytail
A classic style, this double Dutch ponytail is perfect for a formal occasion like a dinner or red carpet occasion. It is quite easy and quick to achieve.
How to achieve this look:
- Start by parting the hair into 2 parts in the centre of the head.
- Pick up a section on the left side if the hair and divide into 3 smaller pieces.
- Cross the right side under the middle then the left side under the middle. Pick up a new right section and cross under the middle then a new left section and cross under the middle.
- Repeat these steps adding hair to both sides of the braid till you get to the end.
- Create a second Dutch braid on the right side till you get to the back.
- Pull all the hair, including the one at the back into a high ponytail and tie it up with a hair band.
- You can then pull on the sides of the Dutch braids to make them look fuller.
- Take a small section of hair from the ponytail and wrap around the hair band to create a sleek look. Secure with a Bobby pin and you are done.
Which of these styles is your favorite? Did you try it?
Often times, we are tempted to just throw the hair into a ponytail and call it a day. The ponytail hairstyles described above are easy and quick ways to give your simple pony a more attractive and chic look.
Check this out: No Fuss Hairstyles For Fine Thin Hair
Whether you are pressed for time or just a lover of simple and easy hairstyles, these ponytail hair styles are your best bet and can be achieved in record time. They are perfect for those periods when you don’t want hair around your face or neck, especially in the summer when the weather is hot.
Image Credit: Deposit Photos