How To Curl Your Hair With Just A Blow Dryer
When it comes to styling your hair, you may have a great number of tools and accessories that you like to use each day. If you are someone who likes to be able to create waves or curls in your hair, the chances are very good that you have a curling iron, curling wand, hot rollers, rags or other tools that you try to use to get the results that you need. However, what you should know is that there are ways that you can work on getting the curls and waves that you are hoping for simply by using your hair dryer and some simple tools.
If you happen to have a variety of attachments that came along with your blow dryer, it’s important that you know what they are meant for and how you can use them. For example, there are some people that are not aware that the diffuser that comes with most blow dryers can be used to create waves. You may also have a concentrator (which is a fish-nosed or tapered attachment) that cuts back on the amount of airflow that comes through while targeting the area that is reached with the hair.
Enhancing Your Natural Waves
A diffuser is a perfect attachment that you can use to get the most out of your natural curls. When used correctly, the diffuser is the perfect way to dry your hair quickly while keeping the natural shape of your waves and all of the frizz can stay away.
- Start by taking a small amount of smoothing product in your hair that is meant to keep the frizz at bay. Rub the smoothing cream or serum in your hands and apply to your damp hair from approximately the middle of the shaft all the way down to the ends.
- The diffuser is just right for helping you to get the curl to form quicker and all you have to do is move the blow dryer up toward your scalp while allowing the hair to fall onto the diffuser in a scrunching manner. Repeat this process all over your head.
- After you are done, you can use a light hair spray or anti-humidity spray to keep your curls looking great all day.
Make Your Straight Hair Wavy
One way to curl straight hair using a blowdryer is to use a concentrator nozzle and a round brush. Here’s a great tutorial by Safiya on how to create loose curls.
Think about using braids and your nozzle attachment with your blow dryer if you happen to have very straight hair. Then do the following
- Apply a texturizing spray to the roots to give you a bit of volume and then apply a heat protector to the rest of your hair.
- Take your fingertips and lift the roots in an upward motion as you blow dry in the same direction using the flat nozzle.
- Part your hair and then start creating braids starting at the top of your head while lifting the roots to maintain volume. Continue until all of the hair is braided.
- Blow dry the braids for about five to ten minutes until they feel as though they are dry and then pull them out.
- Take off the nozzle and then scrunch the hair and give a final heat blast to your hair before switching to cool while scrunching it.
- Finish with a good spray and you will see the curls lasting for quite some time.
Tame Those Crazy Curls Into Pretty Waves
While using your blow-dryer and a round brush, you can take your naturally unruly curly hair and create incredible soft curls and waves.
- Start with a smoothing treatment that can keep the frizz away and then take small sections at a time to dry while pinning up the rest of your hair.
- Use your round brush and the flat nozzle attachment on your blow dryer to smooth the curls, then twist the round brush with the hair around it in the direction that you want to create the curl. Repeat throughout all of your hair.
- Shape your curls with your fingertips and add some ‘body’ just by fluffing the root area. You can also add a spritz or two of your favorite hairspray.
Basically speaking, the more that you work on curls with your blow dryer, you are going to find that you will find incredible ways to create and manage your curls.