Traveling abroad is a super exciting thought, until you start thinking about how you’re going to look your best while Tweeting out your adventures.
In case you didn’t already know, not all curling irons are created equal, nor do they all travel the same. If you’re heading off for a few weeks in Europe, you’re going to need one that can take the heat, literally. Having a dual voltage curling iron packed in your bag will get you the style you want, without the risk of burning the house down! (Or melting your curling tong).
- 1 Quick List: Best Travel Curling Iron
- 2 Things to Consider:
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 4 Our Top Picks for the Best Travel Curling Irons
- 4.1 Mini Travel Curling Irons
- 4.2 Full Sized Dual Voltage Curling Irons for Travel
- 4.3 Cordless Curling Irons
- 4.4 Travel Smart by Conair Thermacell Ceramic Curling Iron
Quick List: Best Travel Curling Iron
- Best Mini Curling Iron For Travel: Stow ‘N Go Ceramic Travel Curling Iron by Plugged In – Read Review
- Dual Voltage Hair Straightener and Curler in One: CHI AIR Tourmaline Ceramic 3 in 1 Styling Iron – Read Review
- Full Size Dual Voltage Curling Wand: Hot Tools Professional Black Gold Tapered Curling Wand Iron – Read Review
- Best Cordless Curling Iron: TravelSmart by Conair Thermacell – Read Review
I’ve reviewed the best curling irons for travel, and have put together some points to consider when choosing the best option for your needs.
Things to Consider:
- Size and portability. If you’ve got long or ultra thick hair, a compact curling iron model might not be your best bet for traveling with. Choose the right barrel length for your hair, and you’re sure to love the results. If you do need something to toss in your bag and go, the travel size products could be your new go-to for styling on the go.
- Dual Voltage. If you want to use your curling iron outside the U.S., you’ve got to look for one with dual/universal voltage capabilities. Keep in mind, too, most curling tongs will come with a standard American plug, so you’ll need a plug adapter to fit European outlets. Don’t leave the States without it!
- With Cord or Cordless. For ladies traveling to remote areas, or going long periods without power, a cordless option may be best. These models are usually compact and heat up quickly. Make sure to check airline policy before you pack–butane cartridges can’t be packed in your carry-on, and you don’t want security chucking the heart of your hair curler into the trash!
- Varied Hairstyles. If you’re a lady who likes bouncy big curls one day and chic smooth styling the next, check out the 2-in-1 options in the review section. Those curlers let you decide what style you want and save you from bringing along both your curling iron and hair straightener.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Now that we’ve got some information, let’s check out some FAQ’s to answer a few more questions before moving on to product reviews.
- First, what does dual voltage even mean for a curling iron? Dual voltage is required when you want to use your curler in the United States and in other countries. Dual voltage curling irons will work in both 110v-120v and 220v-240v outlets. They will automatically switch to the proper voltage setting when you plug them in.
- Second, do you need special accessories? Yes, a thousand times. When taking your dual voltage curling tongs around the world, make sure you have an adapter for your plug to fit the outlet style of the country you are visiting. Without your plug adapter, you won’t be able to plug your product in!
- Third, can you use your curling iron in Spain and other countries in Europe? Again, YES! As long as it is universal voltage capable and you remembered your plug adapter. Are most curling irons dual voltage? No, don’t assume. You should always check if it has dual/universal voltage. Is Beachwaver dual voltage? This popular brand is NOT, contrary to what some people believe. You can only use it for travels within the US.
- Finally, can you take a curling iron on a plane? Corded curling irons can be tossed in your carry on and travel right by your side. If you are using a butane powered curling iron, it must be stored in your checked baggage. Follow the rules, or security is likely to take your butane and leave you with no power for your device!
Our Top Picks for the Best Travel Curling Irons
We’ve divided our list based on 3 different types. If size is the most important consideration for you, then head straight to the section on mini curling irons. But if you’d rather not have a small hair curler for travel, then get a full sized one. Just make sure it has dual voltage. If you’re heading somewhere where you don’t have easy access to electricity, or you just can’t be bothered with cords, then check out the section on cordless curling irons.
Mini Travel Curling Irons
These are small curling irons that you can just pack in your carry on, perfect for those traveling light with no checked in baggage.
The only downside is that if you have long hair, there’s not enough barrel space to roll your hair around. But they’re great for touch-ups and for those with short hair. If your hair is long, I recommend full sized dual voltage curling irons (read on to see which products are highly recommended; it’s next to this section!)
Stow ’n Go Travel Curling Iron
The Stow ‘n Go Travel Hair Iron is great for the girl on the go. It’s compact enough to take with you in your purse or gym bag, or even into that last little bit of space in your suitcase! The tourmaline barrel helps protect your hair shaft by releasing negative ions that seal your cuticle. This mini hair curler is lightweight enough to carry with you daily. It heats quickly and creates even, static free curls.
This is a pretty basic hairstyling iron, but the size and dual voltage capability allows you to take it overseas with no problems. You will need an outlet adapter, as the plug is made for American outlets. Because of its compact design, the barrel is fairly short. If you have longer hair, you may have a hard time getting a curl from roots to ends. Overall, this is a great option for those looking for a budget friendly and space saving tool.
VAV Mini Travel Hair Curler
Take your curling AND flat irons with you to Europe with this 2 in 1 hair curling and flat iron from VAV. The barrel of this curler is made with a ceramic tourmaline blend, making it affordable and safe for your hair. Protect your strands while you curl with negative ion technology.
This product heats up to 400 degrees within 1 minute and has an auto shut-off feature for safety and convenience. A convenient “rotate” switch lets you choose between the curl and flat iron features and the protective tip keeps your fingertips safe from burns.
Not only does this mini curler function well, it looks cute too! Gorgeous pink coloring makes it a fun beauty tool to take on the go. With dual voltage functionality, you can pack it up and take it with you anywhere. It has an American plug so you will need to purchase an adapter for Euro style outlets while traveling abroad. All of the convenient features of this product make it easily the best curling iron for travel to Europe.
CHI Air Classic 3-in-1 Hairstyling Iron and Dryer Travel Collection
CHI makes traveling in style a breeze with this 3 in 1 flat iron, curler, and wave styling heat tool. This CHI hairstyling iron will save you from extra checked baggage fees and bad hair days. This 3 in 1 tool features a tourmaline ceramic barrel and infrared heat, a true one-two punch that protects your hair from damage and keeps frizz and flyaways at bay. It is important to remember this is a compact sized product designed to travel easily.
Create beachy waves one day and a sleek, chic style the next. The smaller size may not be convenient for longer, thicker hair but it does feature the same curling and straightening power as the full sized product. It heats up to 392 degrees so is good for thin and slightly thick hair. The worldwide voltage capability rounds out the features of this travel-ready beauty tool.
If you’re a CHI fan and are looking for a Chi travel curling iron, the CHI Air Travel 2-piece Collection is your best bet as it comes with a travel hair dryer too.
Full Sized Dual Voltage Curling Irons for Travel
If you got long hair, or you simply want a regular sized hair iron that you can also take along with you in your travels (‘cause you don’t worry about baggage allowance limits), then choose among these full sized dual voltage curling irons:
T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling Wand
The T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling Wand gives you intense curls, whimsical waves, or old school glamour with the change of a barrel. Infrared heat helps keep your strands safe from heat damage by sealing your hair shaft. Each barrel is evenly heated from handle to tip with Single Pass technology, which gives you a uniform, frizz free look. This styling wand heats up to 410 degrees very quickly and is safe for all hair types, just be mindful of the heat!
This product does come with a helpful heat resistant glove. If you’re unfamiliar with using a curling wand you may want to practice a few times before you travel with it. Nobody wants a forehead burn in the middle of their vacay pics. It also features a soft storage pouch, so you can keep all your barrels and handle in one spot. This styling wand has an auto shut off feature and is dual voltage ready. Take your curls, your straight hair, and your beachy waves with you on vacation with this interchangeable styling wand set.
BabylissPRO Ceramic Tools Spring Curling Iron
This BabylissPro spring iron is the probably the best curling iron for international travel. It features infrared heat to create long lasting curls without damaging your hair. It heats quickly to up to 400 degrees with 25 temperature settings to make sure you use the right temp for your hair type. The ceramic barrel heats evenly and seals your hair shaft instead of opening it, so your hair is protected from heat damage and frizzy results.
The barrel is a little short, so it will be best for short to medium length hair, or for creating waves at the ends of very long hair. This Babyliss travel curler is designed for worldwide use. It has universal voltage capability so you can take it with you anywhere. The iron will automatically convert to the voltage needed. Take note, you may need to purchase a plug adapter when traveling abroad with this product. The plug may not fit in European outlets. It is also designed with an auto shut-off feature, so you don’t need to spend all day worrying whether you remembered to turn it off.
Hot Tools Professional Black Gold Tapered Curling Wand
Hot Tools Professional Black Gold Tapered Curling Wand will create smooth, long curls that last. It features an extra long, tapered barrel with no clip, so you can wind your hair as tightly as you want to create just the right curl. The clipless design prevents kinks in your tresses and makes it easy to release your curl.
This Hot Tools hair curling wand can heat up to 455 degrees and works well in all hair types. The black gold barrel allows for even heating with pulse technology that holds the heat along the entire barrel. The coating on the barrel does chip easier than other finishes, so make sure to store it carefully. It features a Micro-shine finish to prevent snags and let your hair slide across it easily.
This is a dual voltage curling wand, so you can take it on your travels with no problems. Like any other European voltage curling irons, you may want to purchase a plug adapter as the plug is designed for American outlets.
Revlon Perfect Heat Long Lasting Curls
This Revlon curler features a barrel with a triple Ceramic coating to bust frizz and keep your hair healthy and happy. The ceramic coating seals your hair cuticle, reducing the chance of heat damage. This Revlon dual voltage curler heats up to 400 degrees and has 30 heat settings, so you can choose the best temperature for your hair type. It heats quickly, within 30 seconds so you can turn it on and get right into styling your curls. It does come with a convenient cover to protect the coating and prevent damage.
This is a very basic hair curling iron, so if you’re looking for a lot of different functions, it may not be for you. However, it is great for traveling as it does have worldwide voltage capability. It is good for all hair types but works best for short to medium length hair. It also has auto-shut off-no need to spend your vacation worrying about whether you turned off your heat tools!
Cordless Curling Irons
Cordless curling irons are of 2 types: (1) battery operated curling irons and (2) Butane-powered non electric curling irons.
Battery operated models are usually USB rechargeable curling irons. Heat styling tools typically requires a lot of power to generate heat, so rechargeable battery powered cordless curling irons aren’t that common. It’ll take you hours to recharge something that’ll only last a few minutes’ use. Good thing Butane technology was invented. With refillable cartridges, you won’t have to worry about converters, plugs and whether your hair curling iron is dual voltage or not!
Travel Smart by Conair Thermacell Ceramic Curling Iron
This mini hair iron by Conair features a butane cartridge to power you through curls on the go. If you’re traveling to remote areas where you know you’ll have a hard time finding power, this could be a good option to explore. The Travel Smart heats quickly with a maximum temperature of 360 degrees.
It works well for fine to medium hair types. It does create nice, even curls that withstand the elements. When traveling, it is important to know regulations regarding the butane cartridges. They are approved for checked luggage, so if you are only planning to have a carry-on bag this product will not be approved to travel with you. Cartridges can last up to one week with daily use, depending on how long and thick your hair is. If you are traveling for long periods you may want to purchase spare cartridges to take along. You can buy refill cartridges here.
Conair MiniPro Cordless Curling Iron
The Conair MiniPro Cordless Hair Iron heats to an impressive 419 degrees fahrenheit, making it a great travel option for girls with all hair types. It heats quickly and delivers even heat across the barrel, providing for fast, even curls. It cools down quickly too, making it that much more convenient for travel. Remember you cannot take butane cartridges in your carry-on luggage when traveling by airplane, so it will need to go in checked baggage or stay at home.
It does feature a ceramic barrel, which helps distribute heat to your hair shaft from the inside out and prevent harmful damage caused by high temps. A single cartridge may last up to a week depending on how much hair you have and how often you use this cordless curling iron for styling. You can purchase a 4-pack of replacement cartridges for at home or travel use through this link.
Gospire Mini Portable Cordless 2 in 1 Hair Straightener & Curling Iron
This 2-in-1 hair beauty tool by Gospire makes travel with your favorite styling product a breeze. It is battery operated, and has a USB charger so you can use the same charger block to re-energize your curler and your phone!
This hair straightener and curler is super compact, and heats to 320 degrees in 2 minutes. Because of its size and temperature setting, it may not be first choice for girls with thick, coarse, or extra long hair. It’s a great product for touch ups and styling bangs. The ceramic barrel protects hair from heat damage and gives you frizz free straight locks or bouncy, smooth curls depending on the look you want. It only requires 3 hours for a complete re-charge.
This product is dual-voltage capable, but you do want to make sure you take an adapter with you for European outlets. Throw the Gospire Mini Portable Cordless 2-in-1 Hair Straightener & Curler in your purse for pre-date touch ups or in your suitcase for round the world style.
Check Out: Best Flat Iron Curling Iron Combo
Traveling around the world should be done as often as possible. It should also be done in high style with a curling iron you love. Dual voltage, travel-ready curling irons will be your new best friend when you discover how easy they are to stow-and-go!
Featured Image Credit: Deposit Photos